Thursday, October 17, 2013

Vatican: Castel Sant'Angelo

Yesterday I got many postcards and many of them were from new countries.

Some of them were my first postcards from the Vatican. I sent all this postcards to me when I visited Rome last week.

One postcard shows the Castel Sant'Angelo. The Castel Sant'Angelo was built on the mausoleum of the Roman Emperor Hadrian. Since 1281 there is a roofed corridor connecting the castle with the Vatican. In front of the castle is the Ponte Sant'Angelo directing to the city centre. Only pedestrians are allowed to go over the bridge. The Castel Sant'Angelo is a part of the Historic Centre of Rome which is since 1980 a UNESCO World Heritage Site.


Stamp:
700 Years of devotion to Our Lady of Europe (issued 10-02-2009)
(It is a joint issue with Gibraltar)


No comments:

Post a Comment